Day 10 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Kyle Yates

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Kyle Yates - @Kyle_Yates

profile-pickleball-pro-kyle-yates

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today Kyle Yates is going to take us through a brutal quad and calf workout, with a forearm trunk workout. As I’m writing this I am honestly nervous about this one because the competitive side of me wants to come out and do the same weight Kyle did…yeah…if I do that I won’t be able to walk so, less weight for me.

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! How are you guys doing regarding finding a place to insert doing these drills on a consistent basis? Are you finding it easier or harder? I feel like a redundant individual, but so much of pickleball is the same types of hits, the same repetitions that are going to help us improve. Keep it up with the squats and leg strengthening in order to improve our ability in order to improve our agility and strength on the courts.

3. How it relates to pickleball

I’m not known for my soft touch and eye hand coordination I spent my years honing in on footwork and strategy. It’s all about finding the weakness in Soccer and making sure that I am patient enough to do that. When it comes to quickness I can tell you that it makes it so points that would normally be done, aren’t because of the increase in speed. Keep working on these drills and your speed and strength will improve, thus keeping the points alive.

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. (1 min) Wall sit - with weight
  2. (1 min) Jump Rope
  3. (30 sec) Traveling Lunge - with weight
  4. (30 sec) Squats - with weight
  5. (30 sec) Loading Lunge - with weight (alternate legs)
  6. (30 sec) Scissor Switch Jumps
  7. (1 min) Tall Plank with Push-ups

Repeat 4x

Activity Modifications:

(Special thanks to @betterpickleball for providing these alternate exercises for those in need - see her post for a video illustrating a Lunge, Squat, Loading modifications)

(1 min) Wall sit ➞ Modify the position by sitting at less than a 90 degree angle
(1 min) Jump Rope ➞ Jumping Jacks, Step Out Jacks, Fast Feet, High Knees
(30 sec) Traveling Lunge ➞ Step ups- Video Time Stamp 00:00
(30 sec) Squat ➞ Glute Bridge - Video Time Stamp 1:01:00
(30 sec) Loading➞ Rotate slightly and load the leg with a slight bend - Video Time Stamp 2:00:00
(30 sec) Scissor Jumps ➞ Step instead of jump
(1 min) Tall Plank with Push ups ➞ Elbow or knee plank

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

6 Likes

Thanks Kyle. This is a great leg workout in a short amount of time! If you happen to have knee issues here are some modifications for the lunges, squat and loading.

3 Likes

first wall sit feeling good

last wall sit not as good

@Kyle_Yates this was an awesome workout and this also explains a lot regarding your fitness. I’m not at that 35lb stage but I have a goal now :muscle:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - lau Tzu(not exact quote)

3 Likes

I loved the addition of the weights. I was not willing to try the 35 lbs, but did 25 lbs. I am gonna try 35 pounds next time I do this workout. Loved it Kyle! Thanks for setting it up! I also loved having someone to do it with me. Made the time go by much faster!.

6 Likes

:point_up_2:

Yes, that is me with Phil. Shot out to @Kyle_Yates for the great workout. Feel the burn! Also, a special thanks to @PickleballPhil for letting me workout with him and get in a little pickleball afterward. I am amazed at Phil’s desire to constantly progress and push himself to be the best he can be.

4 Likes

Wow are my legs burning! Great workout Kyle. I like that you pushed us by giving us a 23 minute workout…Lol. I wasn’t able to do the plank with pushups for the full minute… that’s insane!

6 Likes

Kyle Yates is a killer but I killed this workout! When I watched this video I thought ‘no way’ but I surprised myself. I think the key was deliberately doing the lunges. Focusing on form made me forget that I was doing a lunge.
Thanks Kyle!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Just when I thought wall sits couldn’t get any worse! :weary: My daughter said, “If it is hard for you then you know you should be doing it.” When did my kids get old enough to use my own words against me? Thank you for the workout.

4 Likes

Loved the workout @Kyle_Yates! (well, most of it anyway.) And yes, I did wear the shirt because it was his workout we were doing today. And yes, I do use the Jigsaw electrolyte supreme!
@picklethe50- we get to do push ups again today, aren’t you so glad? :smiley: I did 5 real ones. The other times were modified or planks. Give me leg work any day.

4 Likes

Maybe one day I’ll be able to do a push up​:grimacing::muscle:t3:. For now I’ll stick to planks.

4 Likes

Did 3 rounds, then the phone call from my mom that took 1.5 hours. 4th round just didn’t happen past the wall sit. Oh well.

5 Likes

Well… this was by far my roughest day :joy:. I played pickleball for 9 hours in the hot sun yesterday (yes 9!) and man alive was I feeling it today. Despite the wicked sunburn threatening to rob me of all the skin on my arms, I decided to play pickleball again this morning. Guys, I might have a problem… I think I have an addiction :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. After dying from this morning’s pickleball session, I came home and did this workout… and man oh man it did not go so well. I was cringing watching @Kyle_Yates video, but when he said, “Repeat 4 times,” my heart literally sank and I don’t think I have recovered it yet! My body was so beat from yesterday that I not only had to come down to my knees on the first two sets, I had to come to my HIPS on the third and fourth! :scream: You’re talking to a workout junkie here who can normally do a full plank! Yikes. What a day today’s workout was…

Instead of posting a picture of me dying today, here’s a picture of my husband who is a thousand times stronger than me doing his insane workout that includes mega incline pushups!

2 Likes

Way to do as much as you could though! Today was hard!

Girl I am so proud of you!!! You did 5!!! You are AMAZING!!! Today was soooo rough for me! I played 9 hours yesterday in the sun and today my body was BEAT. I had to come down to my HIPS for the planks :scream:. I’m praying tomorrow is a “rest” day and only legs, haha!

I am so proud of you for those push ups though, way to go girl!!! :smile::raised_hands:t2::muscle:t2::tada:

1 Like

Done, with CJ’s modifications. Good thing this wasn’t Day 01, or I would have been done before it started. Congratulations to all that were able to complete this challenge, the Kyle Yates way was really tough.

2 Likes

I almost forgot to post today. Yikes. Those scissor kicks kicked my butt. Thanks Kyle.

4 Likes

Thank you! You are crazy! You need a day of rest from all those games!
Did your husband do all the exercises or just decline push ups? That was impressive!

1 Like

Awesome workout Kyle! Thanks for your time in putting this drill together for us! Here’s me doing the jump rope part of it. I promise there is a rope in my hands. It’s just invisible

5 Likes