Day 17 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Frank Anthony Davis

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Frank Anthony Davis - @frankanthonydavis

profile-pickleball-pro-frank-anthony-davis

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today @frankanthonydavis is going to give us an amazing core strengthening challenge. I am really excited about this one because of the challenge it is going to be! Lets get this! It is Day 17! We only have 3 more to go!!

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! We need to have core strength and control. One of the things that I teach my patients that I work with is that if they don’t have control of their core, they won’t have control of their movement. On the court, we will have more control if we have more strength in our core.

3. How it relates to pickleball

Just like what I said in step 2, our core is our foundation. One of the things that I teach my patients is that if the foundation isn’t built, the rest of the building won’t be able to be successfully built. Pay attention to your core!

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

10 Reps Each

1. (Hold each position for a 5 count) V hold with a Twist
  2. (Hold each position for a 5 count) Spiderman Plank Hold
  3. (Hold each position for a 5 count) Windshield Wipers
  4. (Hold each position for a 5 count) Bird Dog and Opposite Side Hold
  5. (Hold each position for a 5 count) Hollow Hold to a V-Sit Hold to a Russian Twist

Activity Modifications:

(Special thanks to @betterpickleball for providing these alternate exercises for those in need - see her post for a video illustrating modifications)

1. Hollow hold with a Twist
    ➞ Legs straight on the floor- lean back slightly and hold without lowering to the floor
    ➞ Legs straight on the floor-lean back slightly and add a twist
  2. Spiderman Plank Hold
    ➞ Base leg knee down
  3. Windshield Wipers
    ➞ Knees bent at 90 degrees
  4. Bird Dog
    ➞ Hold arm and opposite leg up without moving to the center
  5. Hollow Hold, V-Sit, Russian Twist
    ➞ Hollow hold-hands under the hips or arms behind head
    ➞ V-Sit with feet on the floor
    ➞ Russian Twist with feet on the floor

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

5 Likes

A strong core is essential for pickleball. Thanks @frankanthonydavis for the challenging workout. No wonder you kill it in singles! Just in case you need a few modifications :rofl:

4 Likes

Now this is a beast of a work out! Video will be coming later this evening! Let’s go guys

7 Likes

That was a killer ab workout! I liked the V hold and twist, the Windshield wipers and the Bird Dog Opposite side hold exercises (probably because I could actually do 10 reps of each without a break). I had to take several breaks on the Spiderman plank hold and Hollow Hold to VSit … those 2 were so hard!!! Ironically, I had a sore low back 2 weeks ago, so I will continue to do these exercises until I can do 10 reps without a break Thanks for the great workout @frankanthonydavis

9 Likes

I liked the windshield wiper legs the best. This one was a hard one but all very needed to improve my core strength and flexibility. Thank you for the drills and the insight FAD! You’ve got some cool swag, I like your new shirt!

7 Likes

This was a great change from all the leg workouts. I really liked the windshield one. I could feel it stretching my back. I also liked the last one. Thanks!

10 Likes

Had little helper. @Jmcshinsky and @smcshinsky
Me: Grunting through the exercise
Jessica: Does it hurt?
Me: Yes …grunt
Jessica: where does it hurt?
Me: In my tummy.
Jessica: Um…you mean your abs?
Me: yes, that is what fat people call their abs :crazy_face: grunt

8 Likes

Thanks for the great core workout Frank! Being a person with a history of lower back problems, I will benefit greatly from doing these exercises.

8 Likes

Thank you @frankanthonydavis! This was a great core workout! I liked the bird dog & opposite side hold. I have done them with the knee into the elbow before, but not reaching back for the foot. I will definitely add that in!

The spider-man plank and hold was the hardest one for me. I had to modify it a few times.

7 Likes

Thank you @frankanthonydavis for taking the time to make the video and explaining the why behind the exercises you had us complete. I’d be curious to know how much time a week you spend on physical conditioning totally separate from playing pickleball?

5 Likes

I love this. I have back issues so this routine is going to be a longterm godsend for me.

@frankanthonydavis is one of the most quick and agile players I’ve seen on the court. I thought for sure his workout was going to be focused on the agility training that makes the man. I think there’s a lesson to be learned here, that one of the greatest pickleball singles players right now is instructing us on these types of exercises and not just a bunch of quick-moving agility drills. :thinking: Food for thought ツ

7 Likes

Thanks @frankanthonydavis for the excellent core workout. Really feeling it! Definitely need to add these exercises into a regular routine. My son was moderately entertained during the exercises. Day 17 :white_check_mark:

8 Likes

@frankanthonydavis this was awesome. I as well was expecting something a bit more cardio based. That said I have had lower back issues and this was fantastic. Thank you!

6 Likes

What a thoughtful, thorough and deliberate exercise routine. Thank you for sharing your insights @frankanthonydavis, I’m now a fan. I opted to do CJ’s @betterpickleball modifications for the majority of the exercises until I get stronger, but will keep working at it. Well done! Thank you both!

5 Likes

Whew! That was tough, but it can just be a starting point to build on.

2 Likes

@frankanthonydavis, I nearly died on the last one when it came to number 8-10! I am so excited to have these in my toolbox of exercises to use in the coming years. Thank you so much!!

4 Likes

awesome core burner!! Almost made it through all of the workout without resting in the middle of a set but on that last one where the banana boat is part of the excersize I died out after eight reps and took a couple second breather and then finished! Also I’d say that last one was my favorite. I love a good challenge and that one pretty much destroyed me. I’ll have to work on it till I can use some weight with it. Haha. Thanks FAD for the workout!

5 Likes

Yikes! A few modifications, and after midnight, but done. I liked the hold in each side of the windshield wipers. Interesting how my back hurt in the beginning of many of these exercises, but it’s my front hurting at the end.

3 Likes

I am glad you enjoyed it!

My off-court training is typically around 8-10 hours a week. Sometimes more in a “pre-season” situation like we are in right now. Depending on the intensity of the on court training, I won’t exercise on the same day.

For example, yesterday I did a 4.5 hours of on court training, so I didn’t exercise before or after. Although Josie and I did go for an evening walk for about an hour, that’s a pretty great way to cool down.

3 Likes