Day 18 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Zane Navratil

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Zane Navratil - @Znavratil

profile-pickleball-pro-zane-navratil

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today @Znavratil is giving us a great workout that is perfect for our own homes! We are going to be working on explosiveness and balance. If you have never watched Zane play you are missing out. Here is one of his games at the US Open where you can see how fast this guy is!

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! @Znavratil shares with us some drills that work on explosion and really focusing on strengthening our calf’s. It is impossible to have explosive movement without our calf’s being strong. When you practice over and over your explosiveness you will increase in your speed.

3. How it relates to pickleball

There are always those shots that we have to change direction quickly. Mainly we guess the wrong way and we have to quickly push ourselves in the opposite direction. These drills will help give us a good set of drills that we can utilize in our own homes and not have to go anywhere to achieve success! I hope that we have found that we don’t have to have a gym in order to work on our game. These are all drills that we can do in our own home.

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. (2 min) Jump Rope
  2. (10 reps) Broad Jump
  3. (1 min) Step Ups-Alternate the starting foot
  4. (1 min total-30 seconds on each foot) One footed side jumps
  5. (20 reps) Movving skaters
    Repeat 3x

Activity Modifications:

1. (2 min) Jump Rope ➞ Pick something you haven’t done previously jumping jacks, step jacks, fast feet or high knees
  2. (10 reps) Broad Jump ➞ Do them on a flat surface
  3. (1 min) Step Ups-Alternate the starting foot ➞ Use a sturdy chair as a step
  4. (1 min total-30 seconds on each foot) One footed side jumps ➞ On a flat surface make small jumps side to side with the foot barely leaving the ground
  5. (20 reps) Moving skaters➞ Decrease the width of the jump and pause between jumps

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

5 Likes

I love your creativity Zane. Every 50 minutes the alarm goes off on my phone and I workout on the stairs for 5 minutes. Safe to say you’ve given me a couple of additional challenges. :crazy_face: Go Hawks!

5 Likes

Thank you @Znavratil for a great workout! Full disclosure, the video wouldn’t load at the ball park I used today (since it is not being used right now), so I had to go by the descriptions. I did some of the modifications, and the step ups weren’t as quick since I used the bleachers, but I got it done and came home and watched the video. I still would have done the modifications if I had seen the video first too! You are crazy Zane, but in a good way!

Take me out to the ball park…

4 Likes

Beautiful weather this morning helped this hard workout seem easier. Used my step platform for the stair jumps for more secure footing.

4 Likes

Day 18 in the books. :white_check_mark: the side step ups were much harder than I expected :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Wow! Super calf work out. Loved it.

6 Likes

Thank you @Znavratil! This was a good way to get the day started. The side jumps …

those were hard! :fire: One more day to go!!!

4 Likes

That was a killer workout @Znavratil You can see I’m totally sweating by the last set of moving skaters. Good thing I had my Step Tech from the 80’s to do this workout…LOL I live in a single level home without even one stair anywhere.

5 Likes

Here is a picture of me doing a broad jump onto a chest in our front room.

Here I am after this KILLER workout.

Thanks @Znavratil for the workout, I like your focus on explosiveness. This was a great calf/cardio workout and really pushed me! Day 18 :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

@Znavratil what a workout!! Today I did this workout after playing singles with @roweda!! After getting my butt kicked in singles for an 1 hour and 45 minutes I came home to do this crazy workout. My single leg jumps were HORRIBLE! My legs were so dead I couldn’t even get up the step. LOL!

My girls joined me for this one and they made the video!

6 Likes

@Znavratil Lord have mercy this one may have caused the most sweat to date! Thank you for kicking my butt today!

4 Likes

Thank you @Znavratil for the workout today. My attempt at one footed side jumps was comical, I couldn’t even come close to jumping up on a step with one foot, so I started upon the step and jumped down instead :grin: Had to use several of CJ’s suggested modifications to complete this one!

2 Likes

I don’t have a step or much of anything to make one so I decided to try my foam roller out. Actually was a lot easier than I thought it would be. :grin: Also I’d some other substitutions for the other stair related workouts. Still got a good leg burn in.

2 Likes

Great to see you working out with your girls. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing Phil.

Heyyyy! Go Hawks! We all have innovate these days!

You avoided the misfortune of seeing my face for 5 minutes straight, so consider yourself lucky! Nice job!

Awesome! Thanks for joining!

Haha, but I saw you when I got home :slight_smile: Along with that sweet dog!

Those are killer! Thanks for joining!