Embrace the suck!

Embrace the suck!

I have a friend that I was talking with the other day and he has this motto. Embrace the suck. What does that mean? It means anything worthwhile is always going to have moments where the work sucks. It is hard, difficult and for a lack of better terms…sucks.

Embracing means to take in, to make part of. When we embrace the suck we make it part of our process instead of running away. That has been a huge thing for me lately. By thinking about it in these terms it makes things more manageable. As I keep grinding away at getting better at life and pickleball remember…EMBRACE THE SUCK!!

4 Likes

Love this! So true…

Anything in life worth achieving is going to suck pretty hard at times and you just have to keep going. The magic start to happen when you meet the suck and own it.

Get it! Whatever “it” is :muscle:

3 Likes

Love this and @PickleballPhil’s OP.

I can totally attest that this has been true in various endeavors I’ve pursued.

Over the past couple decades I feel like I’ve worked hard to hone my “growth” mindset. Has anyone read that book called “Mindset” by Carol Dweck?

I recently finished listening to the audio and analyzed myself throughout the journey. I found that I do have a strong growth mindest, which has come from many years of practice and life experiences.

I used to have a call center job, in college and it SUCKED… the whole time! haha. But I decided to try to make it not suck. So I set a personal goal to try to make every customer that called in, laugh. A simple chuckle :stuck_out_tongue: I ended up getting an early promotion (before I was even eligible) and also a raise. But… it was to a customer service role. And those phone calls were MUCH worse! #embracethesuck right?! And so I did… I carried on my old goal and it really made my job fun.

They say that if you love what you do you’ll never work another day in your life. So any “work” that I have to do, I try to embrace the suck and turn it into something I love… until I actually do LOVE it… and then it’s no longer work!

Sometimes it’s hard to do, but it sure makes like feel like :rainbow:’s and :butterfly:’s

3 Likes

I like the word Meet the suck and then own it. It is yours to take and make it a part of you. Because you did that, you will become something, someone different. Thanks for commenting!

4 Likes

I love this. In occupational therapy there is a concept called “state of flow”. It was first termed by a psychologist back in the day. Basically it is the moment where time doesn’t exist. The more we can make that happen, the more what we are doing becomes worth while. If you can find that State of flow in whatever it is that you are doing, you can learn to love what you are doing. In college I sat on the edge of a conveyor belt and put handles on 5 gallon bucks for 8 hours a day. That was crazy hard and monotonous work! I tried hard to make personal goals, to do it faster, to make it so there was more time in between buckets so I could take a moment. I learned how to be efficient through that job. Whatever the “Suck” is, we have a unique opportunity to learn from it. So embrace it!

2 Likes

I did a while back. Great book. Worth revisiting and I probably should since it’s been a long time. You can always get more from another read since you’re likely further down the path than the last time you read the book.

Great stories @jordan and @PickleballPhil :+1:

N

2 Likes