My pickleball story Tuttle

Hey I’m Amber Tuttle & I’ve been playing for 6+ years. I started my journey in singles then the past 4 years I’ve been pretty dedicated to doubles and I try and compete once a month in tournaments around here or in st George.
Man I’ve really missed playing since I have been staying at home with my family homeschooling & trying to help stop the virus from spreading so rapidly. I can tell you after this past week why I play and it’s 100% my therapy. I’m a recovering addict 11 years clean and I never realized how much this helped me with that. It was my natural antidepressant. I miss the people so much. There is no place quite like pickleball. Everyone is so positive they are my pickleball family. As I think about this today it’s what I miss right now. If I would have wrote this before all this I might have said something different. Today I just miss it all and you. I’m so grateful for this sport that helps me want to be better all around and for my sobriety. Hope to see you all on the courts soon.

8 Likes

That is so awesome that this has helped you in that way. It definitely helps you get your mind off the bad stuff and let’s you smile for a little bit. Does anyone not smile while playing? I believe pickleball releases more endorphins than any other sport. :wink: It’s science.

1 Like

First off, Congrats on 11 years! I too feel like Pickleball is my release from the stresses of life. It’s been hard not being able to get out and play. All the days seems to mesh together lately, but hopefully this will all be over sooner rather than later. Hang in there!

1 Like

Aw thanks & I agree I smile & laugh a ton while I play. It’s totally scientific that it’s rad :metal::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I actually have a whole story of how I started this beautiful spot but nothing seems more important to me then how incredibly happy it makes me so… thanks for the pickleball support hope we all get to play soon.

2 Likes

Amber, I can totally relate as well. Pickleball was my therapy. Without it the past week my motivation to exercise and participate in social activities has gone down. Pickleball has been a huge part of my own recovery.

3 Likes

Hey Phil! I love your story and Amber’s as well. I feel like it’s the job of the people who “know” this to share it with the world. We’ve seriously discovered a Balm of Gilead that strengthens the weary soul, and connects the human family!

Right now I’m working on another part of the community called Elevate, which will be focused more on DOING than just talking about pickleball :smirk: This forum is a place where everyone is welcome to share their goals and check-in daily to get support from the rest of the community.

Some of us don’t receive a lot of inspiration (yours truly) on different goals or drills, but love to follow other great leaders that inspire and motivate them. :raising_hand_man:

So this Elevate forum will be a place where we can share personal goals and check-in, as well as share and participate in group challenges! I’d love for y’all to jump in and help with that once we get it rolling!!

3 Likes

We’ve talked before & I’ve followed you and enjoyed seeing all you do. You have such a wise positive vibe. I’m grateful that I can share so freely with you in pickleball and as a society brother. What have you been doing to stay motivated in pickleball right now I’d love your insight in what’s happening in st George I’ve heard little valley is still open for play?

2 Likes

Hey there yes I’d participate & I’d share drills with you. Yesterday that drill that was in my livingroom was my kid hitting me dinks and I tried to practice staying at the kitchen line without taking any steps back to take dinks keeping my paddle up and shoulders up. The day before I practiced in my garage hitting the ball twice on the wall then catching the 3rd kit this keeps your other arm engaged. So those are two you can do this week. I have others. :metal:

2 Likes

Amber, there really isn’t anything like someone else who understands. That has been my experience. Thanks for being open! I have honestly been struggling. It’s been easy for me to just back off and turn to other ways of coping like gaming, eating sugar etc. I am going to start doing more cross training. Running, drills, etc. what I should do is a daily drills with Phil! I wonder if anyone would care about that. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Yes I say do it I’d be interested. Have you heard of the app zoom meetings I just downloaded it yesterday I’m going to do it for workouts with my girlfriends. If you could record your drills I’d love to see them and I know others would be interested also we all need to stay active. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Nice intro Amber, I can totally relate, exercise has been my stress reliever/antidepressant for many years, and while I haven’t been playing PB that long, really enjoyed picking it up, competing, and the great people I’ve met. Very impressive to read about your ongoing sobriety, know it takes a lot of strength and fortitude. Best wishes, hope we all can get back to playing soon!

3 Likes

I saw that you committed to the 19 day challenge. We are going to have some awesome prizes and some awesome help from pros!

3 Likes

You’re in good company, here @Brainsdoc :blush:

I’d love to hear your pickleball story! If you hit the “+ New Post” button at the top of the page and include the tag #pickleball-stories then it will show up in that tag group.

One of my favorite parts of these forums so far has been being able to connect to others through the sharing of their stories!

2 Likes

Aw thanks for the kind words and support. Yes I love this sport there is so much good that comes from it & each other. :metal:

2 Likes

Yes I’ll be checking back Sunday to see what awesome thing you have going for us to do.

1 Like

thanks, will get around to it soon

1 Like

Amazing story. Stay strong!

1 Like

Aw thank you. I probably would have wrote something different if it hadn’t been the timing. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story! Huge congratulations on your 11 years! Pickleball is good for so many reasons, and helps people in so many ways! You will be able to help someone else that goes through what you did. I believe whatever we go through can always be used to help someone else someday.

Hope we can all be back to safely playing again soon!

1 Like