2nd toughest shot in pickleball?

I’m guessing that most people would agree the toughest shot in pickleball is the drop shot. (if you don’t agree put it in your response)

What would you consider the next hardest shot in pickleball?

3 Likes

I often like to joke around by saying the toughest shot in pickleball is actually not hitting the ball at all. :rofl:

I know it’s not really a “shot” but I’d bet the average number of points given up from hitting out balls is crazy high. That’s why I think it’s so important to always practice, drill and warm up with the strategy of not hitting out balls. Just like training the touch of a third shot drop, you need to train the eye to “LET THE OUT BALLS FLY.”

6 Likes

Currently my toughest shot is the ernie, as that is what I’m working on adding to my game. But totally agree overall the drop shot is most liekly the hardest to be consistent with.

3 Likes

I agree completely! I have the hardest time letting some balls get past me. It’s the worst feeling when you let one go and it lands just inside the baseline :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I love the comments and letting out balls go is important. What about the reset shot? Where does that rate in terms of difficulty?

3 Likes

It stinks when that happens but I think that for everyone that lands in most people chase at least 5 that are out.

3 Likes

The “rest shot” — I’ve never heard of that; could you elaborate?

1 Like

@kkloecPB I’ll bet she meant “Reset shot”

2 Likes

Fast fingers. I meant reset shot. LOL!

1 Like

So true one of my biggest mistakes

1 Like

I think resetting is hard also because sometimes the fast game gets the best of any player and slowing it down and gaining control again is harder then it looks.

2 Likes

Reset shot. Its counterintuitive. Most of us love hitting that ball hard and fast and when it comes back we figure to hit it hard to the same place. Changing the pace and the direction can be difficult. When we change pace we fail to get it over the net or softly set them up for a smash. Changing direction can mean over compensating and hitting it wide. The lob ranks high because its usually over used and unsuccessfully done.

1 Like

For me, it’s got to be the lob, especially when playing with wind.

Do it a little too steep and it’s smashed back in your face, do it a little too high and it’s smashed at your feet, do it too short and get ready to be assaulted, and do it too long and you just ended the point period.

By this, I don’t mean that the “lob” is hard, I mean getting it to where it’s effective whenever you pull it out of the bag. I know this sounds kind of dumb or silly, but the last thing you want is to attempt this shot and have something go wrong, because it’s like giving a batter a slow ball right down the middle…

1 Like

At a tournament, this past weekend, I had a conversation about this very topic… what are the shots that people struggle with the most.

I love @Landon’s comment because it’s so relevant to this conversation I had…

In the “Summer Lovin” tourney, I had the best mixed partner… @picklethe50!!! She knew I struggled with hitting balls that were clearly going out… and some that weren’t so obvious. So she stepped up her game to help her partner, by shouting (EVER SO LOUDLY)… “OOOOOUT!” so I wouldn’t hit it! It actually helped me a ton (despite the fact that I still hit a couple of them!)

I think this comes down to understanding the physics of the ball. If you or your partner land a really good drop, and the person at the net tries to attack the “unattackable”, with a drive… that ball is usually going out… because they have to hit up on the ball to get it over the net.

If your drop or dink didn’t have a high bounce then when your opponent hits the ball, it will be moving in and upward trajectory and if it’s a drive, it is likely going to have so much power that it will hit the fence! I think the trick is watching for any clues in the positioning of body/paddle of your opponents, that would indicate they’re going to try to punch or drive the ball.

After playing a few rallies with an opponent, you can quickly see if they’re dinkers or bangers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: orrrr… a good mix. If you’re getting a lot of drives, smashes, or bangs… then this concept of “LET THE OUT BALLS FLY” becomes one of the most powerful “shots” in your arsenal.

3 Likes