Are your attacks coming back twice as hard?

It’s so much fun to attack in pickleball. But what do you do when your attack comes back twice as hard and now you are on the defense? Just like that, the tables have turned. It happens ALL THE TIME!

Well, first you have to think about your attacking strategy.

Are you attacking…

…too soon?

…from too far back in the court?

…from a low contact point?

…when you’re out of position?

…when you don’t really have a clear advantage at that stage of the point?

If any one of those things are true then you need to be smarter about when you attack during a pickleball point. You need to be sure that you have some kind of advantage going on for that particular shot.

Such as, you can hit down on the ball or your opponents are out of position or they have some kind of weakness exposed at that particular moment.

That’s definitely the first thing to consider…is your strategy sound?

If not, you need to be patient and attack on a better opportunity.

But, even with the best opportunities, your attacks will often come back twice as hard as you sent them and now you’re having to defend a counter-attack.

You will notice this happening more and more as you play a higher level of pickleball player.

Developing the skills to defend counter-attacks successfully is a must in pickleball if you hope to upgrade your level.

Since we are all mostly stuck at home these days, we made sure to show you how you can develop this skill while at home.

Work this skill (while at home) so that you will be that much better when you get back out to the courts.

CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE VIDEO >>

Reply below and let me know how this drill went for you….
How many attacks were you able to block back over the net (and low to the net)?
Out of how many attempts?

5 Likes

Hey Nicole- love this post! I am really trying to work on my blocking so all the things you mentioned are great to be reminded of constantly. Especially looking for those opportunities to hit down at my opponents! Too often I hit up and give them the chance to attack me :-1:. I liked the video drill you attached, too. Good stuff. What do you think though about getting hand-cuffed because your paddle is already bent more towards a backhand position rather than straight up and down? Do you feel it leaves your right hip exposed as a target for your opponent? Love all your posts and your thoughts :blush:

1 Like

Hi! Glad you like the post :slight_smile: You should be using your backhand to defend your right hip. It’s very hard to do so with a forehand so it actually prevents the handcuff as much as possible. Of course, hand speed is a factor too.

This video explains exactly the situation you are asking about with great visuals:

WATCH THIS For Right Hip Defense >>

Please watch and let me know if you have more questions.

This one is great too and dives deeper on the same issue:

WATCH THIS For Bonus Points :100: >>

2 Likes

Hey @nicole! Ah man I read your response and watched the videos and thought I had responded but I clearly had not! Thank you for the tips and videos!

1 Like