More pickleball nets are coming down 😳 (Manatee, FL)

How is your city handling lockdowns?

Per this article:

Manatee County issued a press release Monday saying the county’s tennis and pickleball courts will be closed indefinitely because crowds continue to gather at the courts without practicing social distancing as recommended by Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Florida Department of Health.

This article says that the city is taking down their nets down because of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Some cities are still allowing social gathering with members of their household, in public places like pickleball courts.

This is such a sad time for so many people. Pickleball is a lifestyle… it’s something that so many people play, every day, for physical exercise and also social engagement.

Pickleball also develops (most of the time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) a healthy sense of competition, not just against your opponents but also against yourself!

Personal progress is what drives pickleball players to drill, to practice, to attend clinics, sign up for private lessons, and also sign up for tournaments… because they want to improve and progress!

Some cities, around the world, are on complete lockdown, and others are taking their nets down because they can’t keep the pickleballers away!

There’s a bit of debate on the matter, here in Utah, where I live. I hold my opinions b/c this topic is not intended to incite debate, but rather to draw attention to the news at hand.

I will say that I can appreciate the articulate letter. It’s kind of confusing for the governor to have one directive and then for locales to take action in a way that may be contrary to the governors directive.

This is a really hard time for a lot of people. My heart goes out to the medical professionals who are on the “front lines” of this microbe war that humankind is fighting. I’ll keep hoping and praying that this nightmare passes fast and that the new life we all have is one that is filled with joy and… lots of pickleball!

1 Like

Here in Lake Tahoe the outdoor courts are under several feet of snow. The indoor courts have been closed since the middle of the month. As you said it’s a hard time for many of us. Pickleball scratches so many itches, activity, mental stimulation, and socialization. Speaking of which, why not do something the old fashion way? Today, call someone from your pickleball group and just say hello!