Staying Safe on the Courts-COVID Update August 2020

For months, I’ve received emails from players asking if it’s safe to play pickleball and if so what extra precautions should be taken on the courts. I’ve been hesitant to share my personal beliefs because, I’m not an expert, but I found someone who is.

Besides being an avid pickleball player and part of the Better Pickleball community, Dr. Sarah Webb @scopejock has some outstanding credentials. She is a retired pathologist, in private practice for 25 years, was Chair of Infection Control at a community hospital for ten years, and Director of a Microbiology Lab at a community hospital for 15 years. Dr. Webb recently authored the purposed return to play guidelines for the Seattle Parks and Recreation Department and she joined me on the Better Pickleball YouTube channel to discuss the things we need to understand about pickleball and COVID.

Dr. Webb agreed to continue the discussion and answer your follow up questions here on Pickleballist.

What precautions are you taking to stay safe while you’re playing?

As a reminder, this is a moderated forum, any inappropriate posts will be flagged.

2 Likes

Great video. So appreciate the helpful tips. I host driveway pickleball at my house several times a week and sanitize the chairs, side tables and balls between sessions. I have UV-C wands for inside my house, but wonder if I should be using them on the pickleballs, chairs, tables, etc in addition to what I am already doing?

2 Likes

Hi Ann, it sounds like you’re doing a great job!
Dr. Webb isn’t available until Monday but as soon as she gets back I’ll make sure she answers your question. In the meantime, make sure you download the Seattle Park and Rec guidelines in the post. You’ll find some additional ideas in there.

1 Like

Wow!! I’m so impressed at the measures you’re taking to “stop the spread.”

This sport we love could really be a breeding ground for this virus, if someone who’s infected was out playing… especially if they’re playing in a kings court and everyone is touching the same ball.

Thanks for being a great, responsible example to the pickleball community @txannmayer!

3 Likes

Hi Ann,

It sounds like you’re already doing a great job of sanitizing. You could use the UV-C wands instead of sanitizing wipes, but you don’t need to do both.

Dr. Webb

3 Likes