Where to play free pickleball on the Upper East Side (UES), in New York City?

I live in NYC and new to pickleball. Most of these post I see are not since early 2021.I would like to find out if there are free courts on the UES to play

Hey @JBJ, welcome to the community! Pickleball has changed so many people’s lives, for the better. We’d love to hear your story about what got you into the sport! You can see other’s stories, here.

I did a search using https://www.places2play.org/map to find some places to play, near you.

See Map screenshot

It looks like there’s some temp courts at the North Meadow Handball Courts @ 97th St. and you can find more info here and here.

We kicked things off in these Pickleballist community forums a couple years ago, but we ended up opening a paddle shop (and so many other things that I won’t go into right now), so unfortunately there was a bit of time where the community was inaccessible. We’ll be re-launching in full-force very soon, so I’m glad you’re here!

Finding specific free pickleball courts on the Upper East Side of New York City may require local knowledge or recent updates. However, here are a few places in the area where you can start your search for free pickleball courts:

1. John Jay Park: Located on the Upper East Side, John Jay Park (77th Street and Cherokee Place) has outdoor courts that are often used for pickleball. It’s recommended to check the park’s website or contact their administration to confirm availability and any specific rules or regulations.
  2. Carl Schurz Park: Another park on the Upper East Side, Carl Schurz Park (East End Avenue from East 84th to East 90th Street), might have public courts suitable for pickleball. Check their website or contact the park management for more information.
  3. Asphalt Green: Asphalt Green, a sports and fitness complex on the Upper East Side (555 East 90th Street), may offer pickleball courts. They offer various sports and recreational activities, including pickleball. Visit their website or reach out to inquire about availability and any associated fees.
  4. Local Schools or Community Centers: Some schools or community centers in the Upper East Side area may have outdoor or indoor courts that could be used for pickleball. It’s worth reaching out to local institutions to inquire about public access or open play opportunities.

Additionally, local pickleball clubs or organizations in New York City may have information about free pickleball opportunities in the area. They can provide updates on court availability, scheduled events, and even connect you with fellow players.

Remember to double-check the availability, hours, and any specific regulations or reservation requirements for each location. Availability may vary based on seasons, events, or other factors. i am also learning pickleball and its rules.