Day 08 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Rob Davidson

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Rob Davidson - @roweda

profile-pickleball-pro-rob-davidson

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today Rob Davidson is going to give us a good balanced challenge. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Rob through conversation and playing on the courts. There isn’t anyone else in this game who is as kind as Rob. He is amazing at pickleball and has one of the hardest drives in the game! I love this challenge that he has for us today.

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! When someone comes into the rehab where I work they often want to walk again. What they don’t understand is that it requires a whole body approach. I love this approach of focusing on the quads and gluts, then vertical and horizontal footwork, then finishing with forearm strength. We haven’t had that yet.

3. How it relates to pickleball

I hope you guys are starting to see themes among these challenges. Many of these pros have not watched the videos before they recorded their own. It continues to be confirmed that there are some major areas that need to be solid when it comes to pickleball. We need to have good gluts and quad strength. The other part is footwork. Rob’s footwork on the court is unreal and he gets EVERYTHING back. A major part of his ability to do this is his footwork. Rob also has such a good whip with the paddle and can flip the ball at you so quickly. Forearm strength is CRUCIAL.

I want you guys to watch Rob’s footwork compared to mine and you will see the difference between someone who is trying to figure out the footwork and someone who has it built into their play. Rob is in the Green shirt, I am his partner

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. (1 min) Weighted Front Squat
  2. (1 min total-30 seconds each foot leading) Forward Foot Speed
  3. (1 min) Lateral Foot Speed
  4. (1 min total-30 seconds each hand) Wrist Rotations with weight

Activity Modifications:

(Special thanks to @betterpickleball for providing these alternate exercises for those in need - see her post for a video illustrating Glute Bridge modification)

1. Front Squat ➞ Glute Bridge-3 Variations
  2. Forward Foot Speed ➞ Pace yourself so you can move for the entire minute
  3. Lateral Foot Speed ➞ Pace yourself so you can move for the entire minute
  4. Wrist Rotation ➞ Don’t use any weight feel like you are turning a door handle

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

7 Likes

Rob suggested some great modifications! Here’s one more just in case you have a hard time doing squats.

2 Likes

Good start to the day. Thanks Rob!

6 Likes

I loved today’s workout. You know, I have loved having people to do this with. It has made it so much easier for me to make the jumpstart to improving my fitness instead of playing every morning only. Love it!

9 Likes

Although, I just realized I beat @KKAW07 for the first time in a few days, only to be beat out by @slrpycow!!!

6 Likes

@roweda what a great workout! Even brought inin a partner today to help motivate me through those squats. I can’t help but to count them and I was up over 100 :muscle:. Still adding in the visualization to my foot work drills, which will be huge for the future! go get it today everyone!!!

4 Likes

only by 2 min :joy: @PickleballPhil, but a win is a win :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @roweda for the drills today! After my 3 mile walk I did the foot speed drills on my deck (it was 49 degrees, thus the hoodie!) then the squats and wrist rotations in the house ( I used my weighted beach body gloves) and did door knob turns, and reverse wrist curls, and regular wrist curls. I do the main muscle groups in my work outs, but haven’t concentrated on forearm and wrist in ages. Thanks for adding those in!

5 Likes

Never heard of a gyroscope ball. That would be fun to try.

1 Like

Worked out with my girls! @Jmcshinsky and @smcshinsky

5 Likes

It always amazes me how many muscles you use playing pickleball​:rofl::muscle:t3:. Good to be back on the wagon today and it’s always easier when I get it done first:)

7 Likes

Wrist strength, who would have thought? Only a pro. Thanks Rob!! These were great drills and I’m looking into a gyroscope today. Would you mind sending a link to the one you have?

3 Likes

:flushed:

Daaaaaang @kiwigirl75! Rockin’ two kettlebells!

3 Likes

got my workout done lots earlier today. And I gotta say it’s much better to do the drills before you spend 6 hours out playing pickleball! I was so dead yesterday and still had to do my drill! Don’t procrastinate! Thanks for the drills rob. Really liked the foot speed workouts. And everything else!

6 Likes

Thanks Rob! It was good to get some forearm stuff done.

6 Likes

It does make it easier knowing others are doing it as well. I’m really enjoying it all.

4 Likes

I completed my workout this morning. Sorry for the dark picture of my weighted squats. I am also enjoying being in a virtual class. The accountability is helping with my motivation to complete the workouts. I love having a new instructor everyday and not knowing what exercises to expect the next day. I did a variation of the forearm/grip exercise from past Beach Body workouts. I am so grateful to the instructors for sharing their knowledge.

5 Likes

Rob, thanks for leading us through Day 08. Modified the weighted squats to (CJ’s) glute bridge to make it easier on my knees. I’m impressed by the daily dedication of everyone in this group. Thank you Phil and Jordan for providing this platform to help me/us.

4 Likes

That’s what happens when you wake up at 5:30 and can’t get back to sleep. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes