Day 11 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Gizmo Pickleball

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Jay “Gizmo” Hall - @gizmopickleball

profile-pickleball-pro-jay-gizmo-hall

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today is going to be a mixed day. We have some good drills from Jay “Gizmo” Hall, who is one of the most amazing people in the world. His passion for pickleball is second to none!

If you ever get the chance to meet Gizmo and learn his story, take the opportunity! He is such a good example of perseverance and honesty. In addition to Gizmo’s exercises that he gives us, I want you to go back and pick some of your favorite drills that we have done so far and pick two sets of a previous Pro’s workout and add them to Gizmo’s routine.

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! Again, we have squats and I am going to supplement jumping jacks with Jump rope. I am excited because I want to really push myself with the jumprope today. It will help me with my explosiveness one the court. Then, as you choose two more sets from previous pro’s workouts why it works will be different.

3. How it relates to pickleball

Take this time to go back through the drills we have learned and make your own set from previous examples from the pros. How it relates will be specific to what you chose. In the comments for today, please post how the drills you did relate to pickleball!

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. (10x 2 sets) Squats
  2. (10x 2 sets) Jumping jacks/Jump rope
  3. (10x 2 sets) Calf raises

You choose the next two sets from previous pro’s workouts! Make sure you place what you did in the comments!!

Activity Modifications:

(Special thanks to @betterpickleball for providing these alternate exercises for those in need - see her post for a video illustrating a Lunge, Squat, Loading modifications)

1. (1 minute) Squats ➞ Glute Bridge, Step Ups or Kettle Bell Swings
  2. (2 minutes) Jumping Jacks ➞Step Jacks, Fast Feet, High Knees
  3. (1 minute) Calf Raises ➞ Hold on to something for balance

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

5 Likes

Squats and jumping are good for pickleball. Thanks Gizmo! If you want a modification for squats here are three recommendations from which to choose.
Step Ups 00:00
Glute Bridge 01:00
Kettle Bell Swing 02:10

3 Likes

Thank you @gizmopickleball for the workout today. Also thanks for the great view from pickleball farm! I added in side lunges from @Corrine and the Split step T Dink drill with visualization from @Dayne! Hope everyone kills it this morning. Unlike my dog who just wants me to let him go back to sleep :joy:.

4 Likes

No video today! Gasp!! A picture will have to do! I did workouts from @Dayne and @Michelle as my other two sets!!

5 Likes

In addition to today’s drills, I would dink to myself in place as my feet would go back and forth side to side like a @PickleballPhil drill but after 3-4 dinks I would lob it backwards over my head and I would sprint back to chase it down and hit a drop shot into the kitchen and sprint back to the line with a new ball. I would alternate forehand and backhand shots.

2 Likes

After today’s workout, I completed day 3 with @cathparenteau1994 but added the weight to the wall squats from yesterday with @Kyle_Yates. Thank you again to everyone for the workouts!

3 Likes

I started off by running a mile. My family has all been running every other day with a goal to improve your time. I’m down to 6:29. I then did Gizmos exercises and then finished with some footwork drills from @PickleballPhil.

5 Likes

Opted for a late morning, living room work out. Picture during workout.

After the workout with my son.

Thanks to @gizmopickleball for the workout! I added some footwork/agility drills to my work out. I added the figure 8 from @Megcharity and the shuffle with dink swings from @cathparenteau1994. Good workout!

6 Likes

I wrote up my workout for next week and included these exercises from @gizmopickleball adding bicep curls to the calf raises, as well as the angled jump and hold from @Michelle and ended with the airplane from @Corrine .

I did the workout outside on my deck and recorded it for my Facebook group workout.

4 Likes

this is a picture of my workout today and my paddle of course. So I did squats for the first minute, jump rope the second, calf raises the third, Kyle’s tall planks with pushups the fourth, Rob’s front speed drill the fifth, Rob’s side speed drill the sixth with an imaginary dink on each side, I think it was Michelle’s side to side plank walk with pushups on each side for the seventh minute and then Jonny pickleballs split step for the eighth minute. And then rest one minute and repeated. The most tiring part of it was the minute of jump rope with the calf raises right after. Super calf burn!!

7 Likes

Thank you, Gizmo for leading us through Day 11. I like jumping jacks because I can easily do the low impact equivalent. For the other challenges I chose Dayne’s “Split Step-Shuffle-Dink” drill and Corrinne’s “Airplane Balance” drill. The sun finally came out in central Ohio so I used the shadow from my garage as the box footprint for Dayne’s drill.

3 Likes

Did my workout inside this morning next to my daughters art work. Lots of smiles coming from these workouts. Had to modify a little today, jump roping wouldn’t work for me today so after squats and heel raises I did some leg lifts and some abs! I love all of this!

5 Likes

I don’t know about you, but this has helped me realize that I can put a workout into my day moving forward, even after this 19 day challenge! @Redgirl

3 Likes

Thanks Gizmo…calf raises were my fave!

2 Likes

Did wall sits and plank for my extras. Barely finished with a bit of daylight left after a long day of yard work. Picture with the planted veggie garden. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the workout Gizmo. I really felt my calves burn doing 1 minute of jumping followed by 1 minute of calf raises. I added1 minute of @roweda forearm with weights and 1 minute of @Michelle forward back step down a line exercise. So I did a little more than 19 minutes.

2 Likes

Awesome! This proves your exercise doesn’t need to be fancy or complicated! Thanks @gizmopickleball!