Day 14 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Suzee Anderson

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Suzee Anderson - @suzeeanderson13

profile-pickleball-pro-suzee-anderson

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today @suzeeanderson13 is giving us a simple, but truly difficult workout! The whole workout should take you about 14 minutes, and you will want to do the workout with the video playing at the same time. She has it in real time already set up. I love it!! I know I’m going to get tired!!

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! @suzeeanderson13 is one of the most focused and intense players I have ever had the pleasure to play with. What I have learned is that Suzee is one who pays attention to the details. These workouts are amazingly difficult and work on great lateral movement and quad strength.

3. How it relates to pickleball

Suzee is a very strong player and aggressive on the court. I remember playing against Suzee and her husband and both are great players. Because the hard game has always been a difficult part for me I kept the ball away from @suzeeanderson13. Part of that is because she is so strong in her movement. Pay attention to her drills and do your best!

4. Outline & Demonstration

Please warm up your body for 3-5 min with some brisk walking or a dynamic warm up.

4 exercises in total. Exercises are done for 20 seconds as many as you can and still maintain proper form, then 10 seconds rest. You do this for 8 rounds and then rest 1 minute.

Suzee has included a timer in the video so all you have to do is hit play and follow along for the entire workout! Even your rest minute is included with ~30 seconds of instruction/video and 30 more seconds of resting.

Activities:

1. (20 seconds on 10 second rest) Burpees ➞ Repeat 8 rounds Rest 1 minute
  2. (20 seconds on 10 second rest) Plank Ups ➞ Repeat 8 rounds Rest 1 minute
  3. (20 seconds on 10 second rest) Lunge with Star Jack ➞ Repeat 8 rounds Rest 1 minute
  4. (20 seconds on 10 second rest) Skaters ➞ Repeat 8 rounds Rest 1 minute

Activity Modifications:

1. Burpees ➞ Wrist issue-Use a set of dumbells for the plank or Inclined Mountain Climbers
  2. Up Down Planks ➞ Wrist Issue stay on the elbows move the arms two inches forward and then back
  3. Lunge Jack ➞ High Knee March with a Step Out Jack
  4. Skaters ➞ Eliminate the hop from side to side and hold the position slightly longer

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

4 Likes

This is a tough workout but Suzee gave some great modifications. If you are struggling to finish the interval slow your pace but stay moving the entire time. It’s only 20 minutes but at the end of a Tabata Workout you should feel like the tank is empty.

4 Likes

@suzeeanderson13 thanks for the great workout! This really, really kicked my butt! Those plank-ups were the worst, but good for me. Day 14 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

Oh man this one was tough. Those burpees!!
I really liked the timer in the video. I could just play the video and go. Thanks.

6 Likes

I am so excited to complete this work out tonight. This morning during my typical workout routine time I elected to go run up to read Mountain out in Ivins Utah. It is an elevation gain of 1500 feet in under a mile. I just about died and I am going to be doing some more squatting tonight. I’m sure tomorrow morning I’m going to be dead. But it was just a great opportunity to switch up my workout routine and do something I am so excited to complete this work out tonight. This morning during my typical workout routine time I elected to go run up to read Mountain out in Ivins Utah. It is an elevation gain of 1500 feet in under a mile. I just about died and I am going to be doing some more squatting tonight. I’m sure tomorrow morning I’m going to be dead. But it was just a great opportunity to switch up my workout routine and do somethingI haven’t done before.

10 Likes

Love that view! You are blessed to live in a place with such beauty!

1 Like

Great workout @suzeeanderson13! My pictures say it all. :slight_smile:

But also…

7 Likes

Day 14
This was a very good, but very hard workout for me! Doing 8 sets of burpees was the hardest and then the 8 sets of plank ups was the 2nd hardest for me. I liked the timer you included with the workout @suzeeanderson13 It was very helpful! Thank you!!!

6 Likes

I got to do this workout with my boys after we got to the park. This was a good one Suzee! The timer was so nice to have. I missed yesterday because of my daughters birthday celebrations. This was a good one to get me back in gear.

5 Likes

Done :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Loved this workout and the video with the timer! :+1: Alexa (the Amazon Alexa) was sick of me yelling at her to “restart the timer, cancel the timer”. Thank you @suzeeanderson13 for your participation in this challenge.

4 Likes

I live in the mountains too and the internal conversation for me involved in that type of run goes something like this.
Planning
Let’s run tunnel creek on Tuesday :grinning:
Sounds great you haven’t been up there in a while :heart_eyes:
Day of
This is going to be fun! :grin:
1/4 of a mile in—I’m dying :weary:
CJ, you know the first mile always sucks it will get better :slightly_smiling_face:
Reality sets in
It’s only a mile and the climb hasn’t even started :roll_eyes:
This is going really going to suck, but you’re already here so you might as well :sweat_smile:
Next Day
Got that was awful. I’m never doing that again :face_vomiting:
So what’s the plan for next week? How about Black Rock Canyon, It’s prettier than Tunnel Creek but not as hard. Whatever you say :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

OMG this one was intense. I love Skaters but Lord have mercy the 7th and 8th round I felt like my glutes were going to explode! @suzeeanderson13 Thank you for kicking my Butt!

3 Likes

This was one of my favorite workouts. I loved that Suzee reminded us to warm up, showed options of increasing difficulty to choose from and cautioned us about back injury. Also, having the timer set up was very nice. Thank you very much for helping us Suzee!

4 Likes

Loved the timer on this! I’ll bet it saved me five to ten mins. So thanks a bunch for that! Loved the workouts also. I started the plank up in high plank and halfway through I decided to do them from my knees. Haha. Also I figured I could do the star jacks workout with my paddle in hand to halo me see the sink or hit on each side squat.

6 Likes

This was tough but I loved it and the timers were so helpful. Thanks Suzee, I need to strengthen my core for sure!

3 Likes

We really liked the timer with the video. @Jmcshinsky and @smcshinsky

2 Likes

Easily one of the hardest workouts yet, thank you @suzeeanderson13!!

1 Like

Man, I just about died yesterday after climbing red mountain in the morning and then doing Suzee’s workout in the evening. I loved the workout and the Tabata workout!

2 Likes