Day 06 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Dayne Gingrich

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Dayne Gingrich - @Dayne

profile-pickleball-pro-dayne-gingrich

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

I will be doing TWO challenges today! Jonny pickleball’s and Dayne’s! I am seriously loving all the information we are getting! How about you? I am most excited about the visualization. That is something that I have not been applying in my drilling and play. That is going to change! Remember that as you are doing this pay attention to when you are doing it. Be consistent and make it happen during a routine that you already have built into your day!

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today Dayne Gingrich is giving us an awesome set of drills that are going to increase our footwork. I like the focus on the split step and movement around the court.

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! Dayne has you focusing on visualization and footwork. He believes that progression starts from the ground up and then to your paddle. I love this because if a crane doesn’t have the foundation the arm can’t move in the way it is meant to move. The same is with our bodies. If we don’t have the foundation of our bodies taken care of then we won’t be able to control our paddles.

3. How it relates to pickleball

Split steps are important as they allow us to stop and control ourselves in preparation for a hit. Preparation, practice and repetition are important to make this a natural part of our game. Do it over and over and it will become part of our game when we need it most

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. split step, split step, split step, side (dink) to side (dink)
  2. split step, split step, split step, side (dink) to side (dink) backwards, center split step
  3. Hourglass split step (diagonal, straight, diagonal, straight then switch it up) each corner split step

Each one do 90 seconds each for 3-4 sets

Activity Modifications:

1. turn around and don’t run backward
  2. slower speed in order to adjust for the difficulty of the drill

Dimensions for a court are as follows:

Make your own pickleball court in your garage, or in the driveway. If you need to shorten the length of the drill and be excited for when you can get out on a pickleball court to practice this drill!

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

6 Likes

@Dayne Thanks for the great visualization drills! My spider sense was telling me that footwork improvement is coming! and my quads and lungs just kept saying I need water :muscle:

7 Likes

All I know is the @KKAW07 keeps beating my to be the first one on the post all the time! Love the commitment kolby! I love how committed everyone has been and I for one feel so much improvement from doing these over the past 6 days! Today I did @Jonny_Pickleball’s awesome workout and then turned right around and did @Dayne’s workout! MAN WAS THAT HARD! I loved it though and am ready to rest today before going and playing pickleball this evening! I love this! Keep up the good work guys! Don’t back off and keep working it!

9 Likes

@Dayne thanks for the great workout. I have a number of weaknesses that I would really like to work on in pickleball and split-steps is one of them, so I really appreciate this one. Day 6 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

I’m loving the drip of sweat!! Way to work it @Joe_Zaleski

3 Likes

I did two workouts as well today. I really really like this one. I enjoyed the part where you could mix up the path you took. My paddle was back in my closet past the sleeping family so I opted for a wooden one that’s kept in the garage. Haha

6 Likes

Great footwork drills. I needed this! Thanks Dayne

6 Likes

I’m going to need to go outside for this drill. Thunderstorms here off and on all day. :thinking:
I will work it out somehow. Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Love to see that kind of commitment! Maybe a patch of dry will come!! :pray:

2 Likes

SPLIT, QUIET, AND LOW! I really loved this one for some reason! Often when I get tired I start stand up and stop using my legs for shots and blocks so this drill I will use for after a couple hours of Pickleball a play. Doing this will get even more strength in my legs as well as muscle memory!!! Love it!

5 Likes

LOL. Awesome. These drills can be as easy or difficult as you want them to be. Glad your lungs and quads were feeling them.

2 Likes

Wow! You’re a beast. AND … you’re going to go play? I’m tired just reading that!

2 Likes

@Joe_Zaleski Glad you enjoyed it. Those split-steps are crucial, my man. Keep working them!

2 Likes

@lukers What I love about fitness drills is we can get creative with them. Use the “box” as a frame and implement any type of footwork you need within your game (always include split-steps, though) LOL.

2 Likes

@Redgirl Thank YOU! Have fun with them.

1 Like

@M.pyle Glad you enjoyed these. Get creative with them - every movement here is realistic and can definitely help improve shot consistency. Too often, we miss because of our footwork / balance / leg fatigue.

1 Like

Great idea. Thanks again!!

2 Likes

I did a combination of yesterday and today’s workouts. OH MY GOODNESS! Thank you @Jonny_Pickleball and @Dayne . You know it is a tough workout when you look forward to doing the squats! And as soon as I learn how to share the video here from my Facebook, I will!

3 Likes

@Sandy1965 Glad you liked it. Keep pushing! To share from FB, use this link: Day 06 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Dayne Gingrich