Michelle Esquivel - @Michelle
Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil
1. What are we doing
Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today Michelle Esquivel has created a really complete challenge for us that consists of footwork, balance, and whole body strengthening (arms). This one only requires two lines about 5 feet apart and the lines are parallel. The lines are approximately 10 feet long.
2. Why it works
Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! As you continue to do your drills at the same time you will start to recognize that your brain starts to like it. Much like previous pros we are really getting into similar reasons of why they work. I love the quick feet workout with some explosiveness on Michelle’s workouts. I also love the jump and balance. It’s crazy how many times I try to split step only to lose my balance.
3. How it relates to pickleball
As is true with all our pros, footwork, strength and upper body strength are all things that we need in order to progress in this sport. I love the combination of jumping and balancing. If we are off balance we are not able to control what our arms are doing.
4. Outline & Demonstration
- (3 times-up and back counts as one) Two Up Two Back Side Step, Hop Forward, Step Back
- (3 times -up and back counts as one) Balance Side Jumps-Advanced progression jump backward to the start point
- (3 times -up and back counts as one) Walking plank with push ups-Beginner 1 push up, intermediate 3-5 push ups, advanced 6-10 push ups
Repeat All Exercises 3 times
(Special thanks to @betterpickleball for providing these alternate exercises for those in need – see (insert post here) illustrating a Walking Plank modification)
- Two Up Two Back Side Step ➞ Hop step forward, side-shuffle backward
- Balance Side Jumps ➞ Narrow the jump to approximately shoulder width
- Walking plank with push ups
➞ Intermediate-High Plank on knuckles or a set of dumbbells and extend one leg to the side then repeat with the other leg
➞ Beginner-Chest Press for the upper body and an elbow plank for the core
5. Go & Do - Return & Report
Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!