Day 19 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Jennifer Lucore

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Jennifer Lucore - @Lucore

profile-pickleball-pro-jennifer-lucore

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

We made it!!! How cool is it that we committed to 19 days and have really had success in this! I have a SURPRISE for you guys! I will be having an EXTRA DAY on monday. It will have one drill from multiple pros each. I’m excited for them! Now, onto Final day of the 19 day challenge!

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today @Lucore is giving us a great drill that will help us focus on how to work our way up to the line. I LOVE THIS DRILL!! This is one that I will even use as part of my warm up for a tournament.

2. Why it works

“Jennifer’s Favorite Drill” works so great because it mirrors real competitive play. It is a mental and physical challenge to get yourself up to the kitchen line and win the point. And then do it over and over again. When you get into this mindset you begin to progress towards higher level play.

3. How it relates to pickleball

What about this DOESN’T relate to pickleball? Pickleball is all about strategy and decreasing opportunities for your opponents to attack and have any sort of advantage. This drill allows you to work on short hop reset, regular forehand/backhand, and volley resets. It can be whatever you need it to be.

4. Outline & Demonstration

Here’s a personalized note from Jennifer Lucore, about her drill routine for today’s challenge:

Here’s is the drill that all players, whatever your skill level or age, should have on the top of your drills to-do today.

Here is “Jennifer’s Favorite Drill” this actual drill has several variations and probably several different names, but this is my spin on it and what works for me.

Note: This drill is COVID COMPLIANT - for I am drilling with my husband Brandon and we are on a private court.

Play to 11, win by two. The server starts at the kitchen line. The server calls the score, calls their score first, and then opponents score. The server serves the ball deep to start the half-court rally. The receiver is back on the baseline. Rally begins. If the server wins the rally, they are not awarded a point but do move back to the baseline to receive. If the person who started on the baseline (the receiver) wins the rally, they win a point and stay at the baseline for the next rally.

Want more of a challenge? Play a total of four games. Two games straight half the court (play each side) and then play diagonally (play each side). All angles and forehands and backhands are challenges. GAME ON!

Why is this drill is so great, Jennifer?

1. It really makes you think … how can I get myself to the kitchen line?
  2. What shot do I need at this moment to win the point?
  3. You will quickly recognize or get hit if/when you hit “attackable” balls to your opponent
  4. No mentally checking out and need to focus on every shot, just like a real game.

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

4 Likes

This isn’t just a fun drill but as I mentioned the other day, @Lucore you are the queen :crown: of footwork. One of the things that makes Jennifer’s footwork so good is her split-step, allowing her to move forward or sideways.

In the event, you don’t have a partner or a wall to use, substitute this footwork drill from Day 2, shared by @Megcharity . Make sure to split-step at your three targets.

3 Likes

Since this drill requires a partner to play with, I will push it until tomorrow. Excited to try this out!

In other news my wife surprised me with “The Office” themed birthday decorations this morning (today is my birthday). Just wanted to share with you guys. :blush:

Uploading: 769E784F-9771-44DA-894D-BCC46BC27D22.jpeg…

5 Likes

Guess that first picture didn’t work. Here it is:

5 Likes

Because of our current state health advisories, single pickleball play is recommended and I was glad to see another version of the game to try. It looks fun and very competitive— can’t wait to try it. (Rainy today, will try tomorrow). Thanks so much for all of the daily challenges! What fun.

2 Likes

working out in paradise! plan on getting to the courts tonight or tomorrow in the meantime did @Megcharity day 2 footwork drill so I’m doubling up :grin:. @Lucore thank you for the drill super excited to do it tonight/tomorrow!

5 Likes

Happy birthday!!! :birthday:

1 Like

Happy birthday, Joe!!! I’m going to do this tomorrow too.

1 Like

I will be doing this challenge tomorrow, too. I have played a game similar to this called 7-11 (the person at the base has to get 7 point and the person at the line has to get 11 points to win). I look forward to trying this version. Thanks @Lucore You have excellent footwork and form!

2 Likes

Thank you for the drill and taking the time to make the video @Lucore! I look forward to being able to try it out. For today, I completed day 12 again and practiced the wall/balance drills again.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! I hope you have had a great day.

1 Like

Happy Birthday Joe! That big box looks like it might hold a new pickleball paddle! Hope you had a great day.

1 Like

Will try this drill when our courts open back up, looks fun. For today, I did the Megan Charity foot work/split step drills. Thanks Jennifer!

2 Likes

This was so much fun! (I had to set the timer for it to get us both in the picture at the net)

Thank you @Lucore ! It took a little bit to remember if you won the point not to take the ball with you to serve, but we got it, and played for almost 2 hours! So thankful my husband likes learning new games too. He said “this is fun!” And it worked up a good sweat! We will definitely play this one often :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll be getting to this tomorrow as well. Happy birthday Joe!

2 Likes

Hey CJ thanks for the “queen of footwork” :slight_smile: As you know, but I am sharing again, this is GREAT FOR ALL AGES and by playing someone of equal skill level it really improves your skills.

Sweet, Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Linda, YES, have fun with it!

Yes Kolby, do it and be challenged! :slight_smile:

1 Like