Day 04 - COVID 19-day Pickleball Fitness Challenge with Tyler Loong

Onix    TMPR      Selkirk    Electrum   
pb1965logogreen2

Your Instructor:
Tyler Loong - @tylerloong

profile-pickleball-pro-tyler-loong

Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil

I have to say that Catherine’s drills were awesome and definitely beneficial! I loved being able to use a small space to really get a good workout in and can see myself using those, as well as Megan’s drills in the future! Remember that as you are doing this pay attention to when you are doing it. Be consistent and make it happen during a routine that you already have built into your day!

1. What are we doing

Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today @tylerloong is going to take us through 4 awesome drills that are focused on explosiveness and getting from the baseline to the kitchen, as well as an AWESOME eye-hand coordination drill that I am SO excited to try and will definitely be doing this one one frequently!

2. Why it works

Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! @tylerloong has you simulating the explosive moment after you have hit a great third shot drop, or your partner has and you are getting up to the net. I also love the real time having to react to the ball when you don’t know where it is going to come from. What a great way to anticipate and really increase your eye-hand coordination and speed!

3. How it relates to pickleball

In pickleball, the main goal is to neutralize the other team’s advantage over you! One of the main ways this happens is through getting to the kitchen line quickly. After a great third shot drop you need to get to the kitchen and that explosiveness is so valuable in this moment. One of the hardest parts for me is when I am playing someone new and I don’t know their tendencies. This drill with the ball is SO GOOD for you having to react instead of guessing!

4. Outline & Demonstration

Activities:

1. T-drill - intervals of just one (this is good to focus on speed over endurance)
  2. V-drill - sprint to the corners and back to the center
  3. Jump roping - specifically single leg jumping, (I’m going to do 1 minute each foot)
  4. Reaction and volley drill with a partner

Activity Modifications:

1. turn around and don’t run backward
  2. slower speed in order to adjust for the difficulty of the drill
  3. hopping on one foot instead of a jump rope. Putting your hand on a counter while hopping to keep balance.
  4. throw from right hand to the left if you are all by yourself and can’t get someone to do it with you! **

Dimensions for a court are as follows:

Make your own pickleball court in your garage, or in the driveway. If you need to shorten the length of the drill and be excited for when you can get out on a pickleball court to practice this drill!

5. Go & Do - Return & Report

Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!

Reply below to “post your proof” yellow arrow down

5 Likes

I SERIOUSLY LOVED these drills. I loved taking @Dayne’s Drill he posted on facebook and combined it with @tylerloong’s awesome daily challenge! https://www.facebook.com/dayne.gingrich/videos/10215693819513753/?t=23
I’m excited to see everyone’s post of this challenge as I feel it is very valuable!

6 Likes

3 rounds of these drills was killer. for added bonus combined some of @cathparenteau1994 and @tylerloong 's drills with the visualization. Awesome combo @tylerloong thank you for adding to the fun!

5 Likes

I am pretty sure my neighbors think I am crazy if they looked out their window and saw me running around in our garage and jumping up and down lol. I thought I might have to skip the ball throw against the wall, but my husband came home just in time so we tried it. Definitely one we will keep doing! Thank you @tylerloong!

3 Likes

Day three completed! I needed a little help from my girls for this one. They also participated in the jump roping. Thank you for the workout.

3 Likes

Thanks Tyler, awesome drills

4 Likes

3 Likes

Thank you Tyler! Gate still locked on local pickleball courts so made my own grass court “T” out of two measuring tapes. Hmmm, makes me think… maybe The Pickleball Championships @ Wimbledon someday? We’ll all be ready for it!

2 Likes

These were great Tyler. Thanks. I’ll get someone at home to do the ball catch.

4 Likes

Great job Tyler! I liked those drills, the hand toss off the wall is SWEET. And of course, I like that background scenery you had - :mountain_snow:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to put this all together in an actual game!

2 Likes

Stinking awesome good job way to work

2 Likes

Did these outside today and then went off to go fishing! Still no open courts here. Should be able to get to the courts on Monday. Till then I’ll keep doing these drills at home. Wish I had enough space for my own court!

2 Likes

As always, great coaching and awesome drills to make us better! Thanks @tylerloong!

I forgot to take a picture out at the courts, but was coincidentally rocking my TL dragon shirt💪🏼 (I heard it makes you better at hitting ernes🤷🏽‍♂️)

2 Likes

when you don’t listen to your wife and do your drills In The morning you end up doing them at your campsite with branches and sticks to mark your lines.

7 Likes

This makes me happy! I love the commitment!

2 Likes

These drills pushed me. Great workout!

4 Likes

Here is my accountability. Today has been a killer, I’ve been trying since 1 PM to get rid of a massive headache with no luck. I think it is a combination of many changes I am trying to make in my life and daily routine. A few weeks back I began reducing my sugar intake (cutting out my normal daily 64-96 ounces of Dr Pepper, Wild Cherry Pepsi or Mtn Dew.) along with other sugary items. To save me from caffiene withdrawal I would drink 1 Bang Energy drink. Thursday was my last 1 and I don’t think I hydrated myself enough yesterday to stave of the caffiene headache I’ve had today. I still wanted to give my account and will work to get back on track. I love the support we give each other as pickleballist. See ya tomorrow.

5 Likes

During the drill.

After the drill.

Thanks @tylerloong for the drills. Really like these for getting up to the kitchen and ready for anything. Even my wife didn’t mind throwing the pickleball off the wall at me. :grimacing:

4 Likes