Pat Smith - @Pat_Smith
Detailed instructional outline by @PickleballPhil
1. What are we doing
Setting aside ANOTHER 19 minutes to complete ANOTHER awesome challenge! We do this in order to grow together as a community and build habits that are going to keep us moving forward towards our ultimate goals! Today Pat Smith is going to give us a challenging workout includes calf, lateral movement and single leg balance. He is new on the scene, but already making waves in the pickleball world! Both Pat and his partner Jay Devilliers have had some great wins this year and it will be fun to see them take on the top players moving forward.
2. Why it works
Remember your brain is hardwired to function within routine and habits. Try to do your drills at the same time in your routine! Pat has simulated lateral movement skills that could have visualization techniques added at the end of the lateral movement. I also really like the balance and control on one leg. Because we lunge so much in pickleball it is important that we get strong balance on each leg.
3. How it relates to pickleball
Lateral movement is so important in pickleball and plays such a major role in both singles and doubles. I love the drill and will definitely focus on visualization at the turning point of each lateral movement. The jump roping is going to be super important in explosivenes.
4. Outline & Demonstration
- (100 double or 200 single) Jump rope-double or single unders
- (20 second shuffle-20 second rest=6 rounds total) 20’ side shuffles
- (touch each cup once-change arms=2 rounds one each leg) 4 Cone Balance Tap
- Jump rope➞ Step Jacks, Fast Feet, High Knees
- 20’ side shuffles ➞ Move at a slower pace
- 4 Cone Balance Tap ➞ Kickstand stance-Toe is touching but little weight on the back foot. Wider is easier or narrow is harder
5. Go & Do - Return & Report
Review how this fits in your day, ALWAYS! Sometimes it takes multiple times of your routine to find out what you are willing to do consistently. Now, reply to this post and put your proof you completed the challenge! This is a GREAT video challenge for all of us to do that will help us improve our lives and ultimately work together towards a greater goal!